The Spark Of Eid, Where Is It?


The word Eid translates to celebration, an occasion to rejoice upon, a festival. It’s an observance of happiness, gratefulness and self satisfaction, the realization that you are blessed in ways you would never be able to count even if you lived a thousand years.




I remember always being ever so excited about Eid. There was a spark, a joy that I don’t see in kids nowadays anymore- not even in myself. The spark of Eid. We used to come over to our homeland to spend the much awaited occasion with our extended families and it was the happiest feeling ever. There were khala’s and phuppo's stamping there dark lipsticks all over my cheeks with love. There were mamu’s and chachu’s strangling you with their very famous bear hugs, the ones you would avoid but fail eventually. Somewhere between “Mamma mera eidi wala purse deden.” And “Suno ek #MandatoryEidPicture lelo, OOTD daalna hai.” We all grew up.

I know Eid does not feel the same anymore. I've seen so many memes and tweets about this fact alone, that Eid is reduced to just dressing up and taking a bunch of pictures, then just going to bed. How could such an auspicious, beautiful occasion, be belittled like this?
I still remember it all, I miss it actually. Getting hyped over the simple teeka style henna designs, wearing matching bangles that would make tingling noises as they clanked against one another, those fancy colorful khussay and matching eidi purses, I really miss that. Sure, I still want the perfect henna design but it doesn’t make me happy until it matches my Instagram esthetics. I’ve updated my styles to the latest kundan khussas that cost about 3000 rupees a pair, but I don’t know what to do once I have them on, I’m not as happy as I used to get 10 years ago with my simple embroidered khussay on. But is this really what Eid is about? A new profile picture, a lit AF OOTD?

An old school design on my sister's hands. #Throwback2014

I’ve come to a realization, after spending a few Eids being home and "bored" what went wrong.

We stopped being grateful.
Indulging into social media helplessly. Instead of using it to connect to people we have detached and sought nothing but more luxury. We spend our Eid looking at the more privileged people wearing a more expensive designer Eid lawn than ours, watching them get gifted with iPhones and Xboxes so effortlessly from their parents every now and then, looking at smiles and happiness that maybe constructed ever so precisely just for the sake of that picture. Somewhere between all this we have started neglecting the blessing we have at our own hands.

So here’s how to make Eid feel like Eid this year, to genuinely be happy and get the spark of Eid back in your eyes: Be grateful.

  •  Thank Allah. Eid prayers are there for that yeah, but like really thank Him okay?  Because letting your heart out in front of your Creator instead of rushing through the regular prayers, has a completely different feeling. Don't forget to stay humble in front of him, Ramadan taught us that and brought us closer to Allah. Thank Him for blessing you to be able to sit here and scroll effortlessly on my awesome blog (sorry not sorry LOL) because you have a smartphone, and wifi, and a roof over your head, food in your fridge, new clothes to wear.
  • Thank your parents. There is no one in the world that is more important than them, they will love you unconditionally no matter what deeds you have done. They will always be on your side even when the world is against you, they are the reason you’re everything. I love you Mama and Baba, this post is all for you.
  • You know what, everybody could benefit from a little thank-you. Just thank everyone, your siblings, your friends, the people who have seen you at your best when you have laughed and at your not so best whenever you were in trouble. Your coworkers and colleagues. Trust me, it feels really nice to be appreciated and remembered even for the tiniest things in life.

This was a lesson i learnt from Ramadan, the power of gratitude. With all this I’d like to wish a very blessed and beautiful advanced Eid Mubarak to everyone around the world! Wishing nothing but good health, happiness and success in all the paths of life. Ameen. Sending loads of love to everybody reading this, yeah you da best.

#TheSparkOfEid

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.