How I Became a Doctor


It was the first of my Saturdays that were to be spent at the clinic. It started off as a pretty slow day, low rush of patients, as me and my colleagues sat and waited anxiously for our turns to work.



And then, around 11 in the morning, there was a sudden flood of patients into the department. In an instant, we were all on our feet and all our hands were full, diagnosing and starting the drill-and-fill procedures, pacing back and forth looking for our seniors, observing and assisting, and what not. Time started flying. It was my turn after a while and I was happy and eager.

My patient was very calm and easy-going, all contributing to making my work a little less straining. It wasn’t easy though, as my patient had a troublesome tooth in the upper jaw, for which we work using a tiny mirror to get a clear view. I was really nervous, and I was relieved that my mask could hide all the jittery and nervous expressions on my face. I started uneasily and slowly, and I eventually got the hang of it, getting more comfortable and confident with my work. Of course, I required supervision every few minutes but I did well.

The task was pretty strenuous, because I’m still a student practicing, but I was happy and satisfied with my work. I let out a sigh of relief as she grinded her teeth together and said that it fit perfectly. It was the happiness you get from doing your job so perfectly with the receiving person equally content.

I filled in the paperwork, signing off on her work being done, she looked at me and greeted me with pleasure and shook my hands with love, “Thank you, you worked very patiently with hard work on me, doctor.” I looked at her and smiled; I thanked her back humbly and said it was my duty to do so. I turned back to fill in her details on some more papers, a mere 10 minutes later I found the patient back in the clinic. I was startled. I went to her and asked her if everything is okay, does she need any assistance? I was stunned as she held my hand again to thank me, asking me the doctor’s name. I told her my teacher’s name since I am a student. “Yes, I know, but I want to know your name, miss.” I answered and she further smiled and thanked me as she left.

This moment- was when I became a doctor.

This moment, is the one that every medical student awaits. It made me realize the sanctity and sacredness of a human life, the privilege of being able to heal one person’s pain, the utter satisfaction of a job well done and a patient well fulfilled.

Alhamdulillah for having the ability to ease someone’s trouble and to leave an impact, to have meaning in life.

3 comments:

Powered by Blogger.