How I Became a Doctor- Like, For Real




It was September 19th, 2018. Another ordinary day going about as it usually does. It was breezy by this time, after sunset. The usual autumn weather in Karachi is denoted by like ten days of slightly colder winds- followed by the same blazing heat that there is the entire year.
It was also the eve of 8th Muharram, 1440 AH. I was at my Baray Abba’s home at the nazr of Hazrat Abbas a.s. I sat down and filled my plate with some of the food that was served- when my phone started ringing and buzzing in my bag. I let it be at first. Because I usually set alarms at this time to pray, Maghrib prayers followed by Isha prayers. It was 8PM, must be my alarm- I thought to myself.
In a span of twenty seconds I recognised the ringtone and realized it’s actually someone calling at my phone. With my slightly oily hands I hastily opened my bag and reached for my phone. How the phone went in and buried itself that deep in the bag- I’ve no clue. To my surprise it was my best friend calling. And for a moment my heart skipped a beat. Why is she calling, at this time, I hope everything is okay? She knows that I’m not home these days as the Ashura approached closer.
I answered her call, with my mouth embarrassingly half stuffed with some paratha and qeema. My mum glared at me in disapproval, at my inappropriate way to answer a call at this time in such a rushing way.

“Hello, yeah what happened?” I asked very abruptly

“Where are you?!” she counterquestioned. And I got more nervous.

“I’m at a nazr, I’m not home right now, why what happened?!” the nervous counter questioning continued.

“The results are here! I just got to know, and you haven’t been replying me. Did you pass?” I looked at the time on my watch, disoriented from everything around me. We had been waiting for our final results since a long time, and now we were dreadfully waiting for it. But- at this time?



“What kind of time is this for the results to come out? Are you serious? And I just got to know from you about it. Did you pass?” I had no idea if anything made sense anymore. I could feel my oily hands now getting sweaty as well.

“Of course I checked my roll number- that's what I did first. What’s yours, tell me? Stay on hold I’ll tell you your result!” she exclaimed. I knew what my result would be, yet I was still in a state of panic.

“It’s 342, I think- wait I’m not sure! Don’t check it yet, actually- just go in our texts and search it up. Then tell me!” Why is my voice breaking now? I felt the rest of my surroundings blur out and I was focused on my phone.

I waited as she looked through her phone to confirm my roll number. That’s what best friends are for. To remember the stuff you forget at times like these. To be there for you and with you- through it all.

I looked up at Mama’s expressions. It was like I looked into a mirror. She had her mouthful of her morsel and was looking at me questionably, completely aware too of the fact that the results were in.

“You can check it later, finish your food first.” She said while herself sitting nervous and anxious.

My mom. The one who made all this possible, the one who helped me get through all these years of dental school, her prayers and her well wishes. The wonderwoman in my life, whom I look upto.

“Yes, 342, you’re 342! I’m checking it now, stay on call!” I heard from the phone that was held between my ear and my shoulder. I breathed in, as I felt myself shaking. I still had a piece of paratha in my right hand.

By now some closer relatives around me were in doubt too, why am I on this super panicky call right now, I could hear the murmurs of one of them asking my mom, and the sweat dripping from my forehead. God! Why I am sweating? I looked over my shoulder at my sister who had also paused, her plate was full too. She looked at me troubled, kind of questioning too. There was some strange suspense in those moments.

“342! Found it! We did it, we passed!”

The words I was waiting for. I let my breath out and said Alhamdulillah aloud. Smiled. Maybe even had a tear in my eye, I don’t know!

“We did it. Alhamdulillah! Did our friends pass?”
December 19th, 2013- 9th White Coat Ceremony, FJDC.


“Yeah! They passed too, anyways- come home soon so we can talk in detail later, take care!”

I hung up the call and looked up at Mama.

“Talk to her later, finish your food first, it’s impolite to stay stuck on the phone like this.” She said to me, when I could clearly see her questioning eyes.

“I passed, Mamma!” I exclaimed, somehow still out of breath as if I had been running some marathon.

And then came the waterworks. She smiled and hid her face, she was delighted, she was happy, and I reflected and got a tear or two in my eyes as well. Cheesy, but a long awaited moment, that my parents worked hard for. I immediately texted Baba, Babaaaaa!My results is here, I'm a doctor now!


Dr. Shadab Fatima- a hard earned Dr. there in front of my name. A title that my parents earnestly prayed and waited for. A title that took four years of hard work, intense study, sleepless nights. Every morning I donned on that white coat, to work and study with complete focus, to rightfully earn that coat. And today, it paid off.




I’d like to thank my teachers, heads of departments and demonstrators- each and every one of them. For being there at every step when I stood up with my silliest questions in their classes and when I would ask them to repeat something the 4th or 5th time. Their scolding and criticizing tones, because that’s what corrected me and made me a better doctor. Their appraisals when I'd have the right answer. Their sheer tolerance and patience with my chatter and unintended naps in classes as well. (which I'm still sorry for)


I’d like to thank my friends, who made it bearable. With whom I learnt the importance of teamwork and unity, with whom I learnt how to be opinionated and unbiased. With whom I studied four years round, and dreaded the lesser productive days. With whom I sulked when I didn’t do my best, and celebrated when I did some hefty good work on a patient. Shoutout to all of us- we did it!

Last, and most deserving- all my gratefulness goes to my parents. Without whom it would never have been possible. Who gave their love and support, their time and patience to put their daughter into this dignified profession. I love you the most Mama and Baba, thank you for giving me more than I deserve, for tolerating me when I wasn’t the most perfect daughter, for being so patient and ever affectionate. I cannot thank Allah enough for blessing me so much.

Dr. Shadab Fatima- now and forever!

I got my real total doctor feeling way before though, you can read all about that here!
Also, what's your craziest result news story? What were you doing when it dropped as unexpectedly as this? I'd love to know.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.